Portumna Heritage is a resource to let people from all over the world contribute, engage and learn more about Portumna through the ages.
Several interesting books have been published dealing with the heritage and history of Portumna.
- Conwell, John Joseph, From Little Acorns…, A Centenary History of Portumna Golf Club (2013)
- Moffitt, Miriam, Clanricarde’s planters and land agitation in east Galway 1886-1916 (Dublin, 2011)
- Conwell, John Joseph, Hearts of Oak – The rise to Glory of Portumna GAA Club (2009)
- Conwell, John Joseph, A Galway landlord during the Great Famine, Ulick John de Burgh, first marquis of Clanricarde (Dublin, 2003)
- Conwell, John Joseph, Lickmolassy by the Shannon (Galway, 1998)
South East Galway Archaeological & Historical Society
Founded in 1999, SEGAHS is a voluntary organisation highlighting the richness of the history, archaeology and folklore of the region of South East Galway. If you are interested in local history, a group of enthusiastic people who share a love of local history, meet in Portumna Workhouse for regular lectures and gatherings.