census, Eyrecourt, Famine, Killimor, Meelick, population, Portumna, Tiernascragh, Tynagh, Woodford
Population Changes in Portumna 1841-2002
The Famine of 1846-50 determined the course of Irish history even to this day, and reduced the population dramatically through starvation, disease and emigration. In terms of death by famine alone, the biggest losses were in Galway and Clare. The National Centre for Geocomputation’s (NCG) Online Atlas Portal is an absolute goldmine of information on 160 years of population data mapping changes across the decades. The data used in the Atlas is from 16 censuses, taken in both the Republic and the North of Ireland between 1841 and 2002.
It is incredible to learn that almost 6,000 people lived in Portumna in 1841! Between 1841 and 1851, Portumna suffered a massive 30.6% loss of population, and in the years after the Famine, another 29%. The population has never recovered and steadily declined ever since except for the period after 1971 when it has risen slightly. The surrounding parishes of Meelick, Tieranascragh and Tynagh suffered even greater declines of over 40%. The parishes of Killimor and Meelick are today 10% of their 1841 populations!
All maps produced in this Irish Famine Population Change Atlas are produced under the National Centre for Geocomputation (NCG) mapping license: Ordnance Survey Ireland Licence Number EN. 0072711 © Ordnance Survey Ireland / Government of Ireland